Clinton Issues Strong Defense of Israel
Democratic presidential candidates Hillary Clinton issued a strong defense of Israel in the wake of a new wave of terror across the country in a statement on Monday.
“I am alarmed by the recent wave of attacks against Israelis, including more than a dozen separate attacks since last Saturday. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families,” Clinton said in a statement issued by her campaign. “Men and women living in Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, and elsewhere cannot carry groceries or travel to prayer without looking over their shoulder.”
“It is wrong, and it must stop,” she declared. “There’s no place for violence–only dialogue can produce a lasting peace.”
Clinton’s statement is in stark contrast with the statements issued by the Obama administration.
“We are very concerned about mounting tensions in the West Bank and Jerusalem, including the Haram al Sharif/Temple Mount, and call on all sides to take affirmative steps to restore calm and avoid escalating the situation,” a State Department spokesperson said on Saturday.
Last week Sunday, just hours after two people were stabbed to death in the Old City of Jerusalem, Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush tweeted, “Prayers for more Israeli victims of Palestinian terror. Israel has a right to defend itself from these attacks and we should stand with them.” Marco Rubio also issued a lengthy statement in defense of Israel.